“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Saturday 15 December 2012

If it's Friday..it must be ART!

I recently posted about taking my class to the Museum of Inuit Art, located here in Toronto.  Our class went there to view a variety of print making techniques prior creating our own lino block prints.  While we were at the museum we saw a special exhibit of work by a Canadian Inuit Artist.  All the works were done with pencil crayon on black paper.  I was intrigued, and the artist in residence suggested that since my class has so many accomplished artists in it, we should try the technique back at school.  

I went out and purchased some black cardstock.  This was the only black paper I could find which I felt had enough depth of colour to use as a medium to create the artwork on.  The students chose an animal from the Inuit or First Nations culture and created a fantastic representation of it using only pencil crayons.  They had to press very hard to get a good impression on the rich black background, but the result was worth the extra effort.


































4 comments:

  1. Really creative! They did a great job-love the textures they gave their animals!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments! I hope you have a fantastic holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful! WOWzers!

    I am so happy to have found your blog. I am your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Happy New Year!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. well bless your heart! (Sorry I couldn't resist the corny pun) I am glad you found me too! I will be glad to hop on over and give you a visit! I am glad you were able to scroll through all the artwork to get to the comment form! They are all wonderful and I really couldn't leave anyone out...that's my kind heart I guess. I think all of my students do great work! Can't wait to visit your blog!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete