“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Saturday 24 November 2012

APEC Revisited


Lately I have been reflecting on strategies that work in my classroom which help students respond to questions requiring an extended answer.  Here in Ontario, students encounter these types of questions when they write standardized tests such as the EQAO Assessments in Language and Mathematics (written in grades three and six).  They also need to develop the ability to answer in extended form when they write the CASI (Comprehension, Attitude, Strategies, Interests) reading assessment twice each year between grades four and eight. 

One of my first blog posts ever was about how I use APEC in my classroom.  Several years ago, I created a series of pages which I turned into posters and have been using in my classroom for the past few years. You can read more about this strategy here. 

This year, I wanted to improve my teaching of this skill, so I have created two response sheets.  You can download your own copy of BOTH sheets FREE by clicking on either image above.  One sheet is for use when teaching extended response for reading and the other is for use with mathematics.  I hope that you find these organizers useful.  Please leave me a comment here or at my TPT store about how you are using them in your classroom.




4 comments:

  1. I found your blog from a Liebster nomination. I'm so happy I've found it, because I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Rae! I am so happy to be nominated...and to have new followers. I love the "pay it forward" mentality of the Liebster award. I will visit your blog today and become YOUR newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this resource. Testing has become a reality and this will be so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Louise. Fun that you mention testing as a reality. I was trying to explain to my gifted grade six students WHY they had to respond the way I am teaching them using APEC. I felt compelled to tell them that the teachers who are "marking" EQAO won't be there to listen to them talk in the literature circles we normally use. My students are used to sharing, and discussing, not having to write it all out. I have had to give them lots of practice using this format, in order for them to be comfortable and successful on standardized tests. I'm glad they asked, but the "reality" of the answer is kind of depressing.
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete