“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Sunday 7 July 2013

Must Read Mentor Text Link Up The Three Questions

Hi, this is Sidney from Teachingisagift and this week I am again linking up with Stacia and Amanda from Collaboration Cuties for the Must Read Mentor Texts linky.  


“Remember then that there is only one important time, and that time is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side. This is why we are here.”
  -J.Muth, The Three Questions




"Literacy is essentially a matter of acquiring the “tools” needed to thoughtfully access, interpret and share ideas across various mediums of communication. Many activities offered under the guise of literacy instruction–for example, sort and predict, placemats, thinking bubbles and flip books—help students comprehend a specific text or image, but they do little to develop “tools” that students can use purposefully and independently. Our approach is to teach students how to make self-regulated use of a full range of literacy tools—criteria, strategies, vocabulary, habits of mind and background information." The Critical Thinking Consortium


Author John J.Muth uses Tolstoy's story as the jumping off point for this lushly illustrated account of a young boy’s search for an understanding of some of the most profound questions we ask ourselves as human beings.  Young Nikolai asks his friends to help him to find the answer to the three questions that he considers to be the most important ones for helping him to know the right way to act.
When is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? What is the right thing to do?





I bought this book several years ago because I loved the message and I loved the art work. I also took Russian Literature in university and was intrigued that this was an interpretation of Tolstoy for children.  At my school we were engaged in a Teaching and Learning Critical Pathways initiative with the arts as the basis.  I was also working as partners with our school librarian on media literacy.  I wanted to come up with a way to combine the book, the TLCP and our partnering.  

Click on IMAGE to visit the Critical Thinking Website where you can download your own copy of
 the Teacher Guide to The Three Questions by John J. Muth
I found this Teacher's Guide to The Three Questions on the Critical Thinking Consortium's website.  I used some of the lessons in a modified way with my class.  To begin, I scanned the book and projected it on the library Smartboard.  As suggested in the teacher guide, we read through it and stopped and discussed several points along the way.  As a follow up my students did not make a pencil and paper story map (as suggested in the teacher guide), but rather did one on the computer while working with a partner.  

For the application portion of the reading the students responded to the question "What actions show what it is to be a good person?"  The students created word collages using Tagxedo.  They chose the words they felt best represented their response to the question and then chose a word shape to illustrate their learning.  I was really excited to introduce this online, creative resource to my class, as I really enjoy using it myself!  I created a Tagxedo apple for classroom website this year and the kids loved it.  


You can see for yourself why Tagxedo is so engaging.  It really appeals to the visual learner in all of us!  I also had fun teaching my students how to choose background papers and insert frames. I felt a little like I was teaching them what I do when I create teacher materials and freebies for TpT!

The final products were shared at a whole school event in June.  My class printed out their finished products to put up on the walls in the school gymnasium (I am really lucky we have a colour laser printer at school), and also displayed them as part of a slideshow.  I was really pleased with the integration of literacy, art, media literacy, and technology skills.  I would highly recommend using this text in a variety of contexts.  



Thanks for reading!  Are you following me on BLOGLOVIN?  Don't forget to LINK UP YOUR BLOG with the Teachingisagift and A Teacher Without A Class Back to School Bloglovin Blog Hop.

Click on the IMAGE above to add your BLOG
and join in the fun!



16 comments:

  1. This looks like a beautiful book! I will need to get a copy... Love tagxedo, too. I use it with my second graders. :0) Thanks so much for sharing!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really IS a gorgeous book. I think the images alone make it worth buying (why I bought it to begin with) but it is so much more! A gem to add to any classroom bookshelf!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney, I love the illustrations! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaylynn,
      I agree! It's the watercolours by John Muth which first attracted me to the story. I think the pages are beautifully rendered and the story is appropriate for a variety of grade levels.
      Sidney

      Delete
  4. This looks like an excellent book. I am going to have to find a copy. Thank you for sharing!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      Do what I did AFTER I bought my personal copy, get your school librarian to get a copy OR TWO! Everyone on my staff wanted to see the book after I used it, that motivated our admin and librarian to invest!
      Sidney

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a great post! This looks like a wonderful book and I love that you provided so many resources. I've never heard of this book!! I love what you did with tagxedo! I tried using it this year but I didn't have time to learn it so I stuck with wordle because it was faster (I was in a time crunch). My goal is to learn it this year!

    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,
      I know you will find Tagxedo super easy! I actually find it MORE user friendly than Wordle and for more engaging and motivating. This book is a must buy for all classroom teachers, the message transcends all grade levels.
      Sidney
      Thanks again for hosting such an meaningful link up. I learn something new each week!

      Delete
  6. I read this book not too long ago and was struck by how powerful it was. The author really captures the intensity of the mood and like you said, the importance of the message. I've used Tagxedo, too. I do like that you can change the shapes and other elements with Tagxedo. Definitely fun. Thanks for sharing how you use this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      That is the perfect phrasing to describe this book "struck by how powerful it was". That is how I felt when I first picked it up! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Have a great week!
      Sidney

      Delete
  7. I definitely want to get a copy of this book. I am a new follower. I love finding other teaching blogs of teachers who work with gifted students. I am starting my PhD in Gifted Education, so I am excited to be a new follower. This sounds like a beautiful book.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to meet someone who is getting a PHD im Gifted Education! That is amazing. What a great opportunity. Please feel free to visit often and to share your experiences with myself and my readers! Maybe you would even write a guest post for me!
      Thanks for commenting, following and sharing!
      Sidney

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing an obviously beautiful and impacting book. I don't have it but will source a copy to share with my own children and perhaps my class too. I must also add that I love your blog design. It is simply elegant.

    Julie :-)
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your own children will LOVE this book! It really is beautiful. John Muth has other books I am sure you would love to share with kindergarten too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I am glad you like my "simply elegant" blog design. I was SO thrilled when Barb Leyne from Ruby Slippers Blog Designs finished it about a month ago. I feel like I got a makeover!
      Sidney

      Delete
  9. What a great post, Sidney! I must get this beautiful book! I also have to check out Tagxedo - it looks like a novel way to make personalized notecards.
    Thanks so much for sharing this post at my linky.

    Linda Nelson
    Primary Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda,
    I am glad you thought it was okay for me to link up this book. I know that the focus of your linky was for k-2 but I think this book transcends age. I would share this again and again, even with adults. It is very moving and the art work is awe inspiring! Hope you are having a great Monday and get a lot more link ups today!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete