“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Friday 8 February 2013

Currently….hoping to get home alive!







To be really HONEST currently I am wondering how I will make it home today.  Toronto is in the grips of a HUGE snowstorm and the weather keeps getting worse.  My school board kept the schools open even though all buses were cancelled and half of my class stayed home today.  

I have never linked up with Farley at Oh' Boy 4th Grade but I decided to finally link up.  You can also tell by reading my Currently visual that I am CURRENTLY... LATE….I filled out my currently post last weekend while debating whether to mark, or to watch the Super Bowl.  I am happy to say that I succumbed to the excellent teamwork of the Ravens and I was able to get my marking done during the "power outage". 

I don't have a FREEBIE that I created to share today, but I do have one you can download from Education.com.  I was looking for something fun and challenging for my grade six gifted class to celebrate Lunar New Year.  I found the puzzle below for FREE and handed it out to the brave students who managed to get to school today.  My students are busy working with my student teacher, and they have the puzzle to keep them busy if they finish her project early.   If you would like a copy of this puzzle click HERE.  


Mensa for Kids also regularly publishes Ken Ken puzzles as part of their monthly newsletter.  If you teach gifted students and do not receive the newsletter from Mensa, I recommend that you sign up at at the Mensa for Kids website.

Freebie Fridays

8 comments:

  1. I hate driving in the snow. That is 70% of the reason I moved to California. Grading was never my favorite. Good thing the power went out so you could power through with your grading. The last half of the game was so much better than the first. The Ravens deserved to win but I was really rooting for the 49ers.
    Welcome to the party.
    Life with Mrs. L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. L,
      I wish I was in Cali right now. I would take almost anything over the minus 12 weather and the snow! No grading this weekend...just shovelling! Hope your weekend is filled with fun, not work!

      Delete
  2. Hope you made it home OK! Californians are in the middle of a rain storm... we even got some hail! Nothing compared to you, it sounds! I can't imagine not knowing if i could make it home safely!

    visiting from the link up!
    -Simone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simone,
      It was gut wrenching to say the least! I don't remember the last time I had to cope with driving like that! Rain and hail I think I would take over what the roads were like here yesterday. The good news is that I did make it home, and got to have pizza and a slice of chocolate cake to boot! Hope you are having a sunny, fun filled weekend in California!

      Delete
  3. I don't know how I would have gotten home if I went to work today. Thank God for SNOW DAYS! It has taken my husband almost 2 hours to snow blow our drive way (we live in a tiny suburb house).

    Thanks for the free KenKen puzzle. I get KenKen emailed to me weekly. My blog post about them is here: http://2peasandadog.blogspot.ca/2012/12/math-mondays-kenken-puzzles.html

    Happy Snow Weekend! Hope you got home ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI K! Glad you didn't have to make the drive today..it was truly crazy and I have done my share of crazy driving in Ontario! My board did not close so I spent the day keeping the kids who did make it in occupied. Have a great weekend. I remember your post about KenKen puzzles and I think that is why I paid attention to them when I stumbled across them recently! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Thanks everyone! I made it home and goodness knows someone or something was watching over me! I barely made it out of our school parking lot...it took a class of grade 6's to dig out my car (it had been in the parking lot since 7:00 as I arrived first) and then another 10 staff and some tire chains to get me onto the road. From there I was blessed when the WALL OF PLOWS cleared the way for me to drive south. I made it home just as the GAS light came on my car! I am thankful for all the people who helped me make it home safely! I hope everyone else is having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ya' on the haircut...it's one of my favorite things to do! I finally have an appointment this week and I can't wait!! Thank you for popping over to my little newborn blog...it was so sweet of you to read my post and leave a comment.

    Amy
    Happy Teacher Heaven

    ReplyDelete